Most people struggle with fat in their bodies mainly because of their lifestyle and eating habits. It is important to understand that certain foods have a significantly high thermogenic effect than others so they scorch calories when eaten and others have compounds and nutrients that stroke metabolic fire.
There is no single food that can be said to help burn fat on its own, but a combination of foods and proper diet will help you burn fat helping your body break down lipid that is stored for energy.
Before looking at the top 19 best foods to burn fat it is also important to highlight a few tips that will help you burn fat in addition to the foods:
• Eating a breakfast high in protein: Eating a breakfast high in proteins reduces both cravings and calorie intake for the day.
• Don’t take fruit juice and sugary drinks: Most people trying to burn fat take lots of fruity juice and sugary drinks not knowing that this is some of the most fattening drinks you can put in your body.
• Drinking water at least thirty minutes before a meal: Taking water thirty minutes have shown through research at the University of Birmingham to contribute significantly to weight loss. Take at least two cups of water.
• Soluble fiber: Eat soluble fiber. Soluble fiber and supplements like glucomannan help in fat burning.
• Tea or coffee drinking: Caffeine boosts metabolism rate for the body. Take as much tea and coffee.
• High intake of unprocessed and whole foods: Whole foods are healthier, easily digested by the body and they help avoid over eating.
• Eat food slowly: Research has shown that fast eaters gain more weight in the long run. Eating slowly helps you get full faster and will boost the hormones that help reduce weight.
• Eat using plates: Researchers explain that when you use a smaller plate, you will definitely eat less food than when you use a larger plate.
• Get enough sleep: poor sleep is a risk factor for gaining weight. So ensure you get a good night sleep.
• Choose the best fat burning foods: It is critical to note that all calories are not created equal because different foods go through a different metabolic pathway in the body. The food we choose to eat will have different effects on our level of hunger, the calories we burn and weight hormones.
Here are the 19 best fat burning foods to eat:
1. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are one of the “slow carbs” They help burn fat, are digested slowly and will definitely keep you energized for longer. They have a high content of carotenoids, antioxidants that stabilize the levels of blood sugar lowering the insulin resistance. This prevents calories to be converted into fat. They are also high in vitamins A, C and B6 providing energy to burn at the gym.
2. Cayenne Pepper: A study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition explains that capsaicin a chemical found in pepper catalyzes abdominal fat loss. This is through boosting the body’s capacity to convert energy from foods. It is also an appetite suppressant.
3. Guacamole: This is actually one of the most effective hunger squashing and fat burning foods. Avocados are rich in Vitamin B6 which counters cortisol a belly fat building stress hormone. They are also rich in monounsaturated fat which prevents the distribution of the body fat around the belly according to Diabetes care journal.
4. Wild Salmon: Proteins build more muscle and the more muscles built, the more the burning of fat. Fish is a healthy source of lean protein, more so from the wild salmon. According to Lauren Minchen a dietitian, wild salmon’s omega-3 fatty acid helps in fat burning and blocks storage of fat. In addition, proteins also help reduce cravings and keep off weight for longer. This is according to Alissa Rumsey of the Academy of Nutrition.
5. White tea: According to a study by the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, white tea stimulates the breakdown of fats (lipolysis) and blocks the formation of fat cells. Research has also shown that white tea is rich in antioxidants that trigger the release of fat from cells helping the livers ability to turn fat into energy.
6. Berries: Research from Texas Woman’s University showed that berries help burn fat because of their antioxidant called polyphenol. They also boost benefits from work out by ensuring improved blood flow to the muscles.
7. Eggs: Eggs provide choline a fat burning nutrient that turns off genes that facilitate fat storage in the belly. A study by Nutrition Research explains that when taken for breakfast they help increase the fat burning pace for the day.
8. Black beans: They are a source of resistant starch, a slow digesting insoluble fiber which feeds healthy bacteria in the gut triggering production of butyrate- a chemical that burns fat as fuel reducing fat inflammation in the body. It is important to note that a cup of black beans boasts 4.8 grams of the soluble fiber according to the Wake Forest Baptist Medical center.
9. Coconut oil: Coconut oil helps burn fat in the body. It reduces abdominal obesity since its triglycerides are not stored as fat but burnt as energy. This is according to a study published by the journal of lipids.
10. Almonds: Almonds contain a compound that helps limit the amount of fat absorbed by the body. The L-arginine amino acid in Almonds helps burn fat and carbs. This is according to the Journal of the American heart association.
11. Spinach: This leafy green food is rich in Vitamin A, folate and iron which are energy boosting nutrients help reduce appetite curbing calorie intake through a compound called thylakoids.
12. Cinnamon: Cinnamon has polyphenol antioxidant that improves insulin sensitivity by altering the body’s composition. This keeps the blood sugar levels stable and prevents hunger.
13. Cauliflower: According to Juan Carlos Santana of the Institute of Human Performance, this Crunchy crucifer vegetable is highly thermogenic helping the body burn more calories while digesting them.
14. Black rice: According to the American chemical society, black rice is very rich in antioxidant, more fiber, rich in vitamin E with less sugar. This allows less inflammation hence less fat storage.
15. Plums: Plums boost a phenolic compound which turns off fat genes and limits the amount of fat absorbed by body cells through gelatin.
16. Peanut butter: Contains flat-belly nutrients, cholesterol lowering fats and are rich in plant proteins. Peanut butter also contains phenylalanine amino acid that triggers appetite reduction hormones helping in burning fat and weight loss.
17. Garlic: Garlic contains a compound called allicin which helps in fighting body fat. It is important to note that the allicin compound is what gives garlic the pungent smell and taste.
18. Olive oil: According to the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, polyphenol a healthy fat in olive oil decreases fat storing inflammation. It also prevents COX-1 and COX-2, the two pro-inflammatory enzymes.
19. Turmeric: The orange root is a great fat fighter. This is because of curcumin, an active ingredient which has a high anti inflammatory capability. A study published by the Journal of Oncogene shows that turmeric is actually one of the most effective anti inflammation food in our times.