Let’s make that dream body a reality! Our 12 week body challenge will change your life.
The paleo diet is basically a mimic of how our cavemen ancestors used to eat. Yes! Food high in protein and low in carbs because that is what they have found at that time, just preys to hunt and some greenies.
According to their physical activity and eating lifestyle, our ancestors had less diseases and possessed healthier life conditions than nowadays generation.
Another approach of paleo diet included high carbs from eating many plants as well. All of these approaches will be discussed next.
Current research studies claim that the paleo diet is capable of yielding a lot of weight loss without caloric considerations.
Paleo Diet Basics
Paleolithic people were forced to eat this way at that time because simply they ate what is available, so there no right and wrong way of eating. Some of them ate just animal meat while others ate more carbs by incorporating the green nature.
Whatever the approach is, the basics were the same and they include focusing on veggies, fruits, nuts, meat, fish, oils, herbs, and spices. On the other hand, they prohibit soft drinks, sugar, grains, artificial sweeteners, canned food, legumes, and anything that is rich in trans fats.
Forbidden ingredients of the Paleo Diet
- Added Sugars:Soft drinks, fruit juices, table sugar, and all types of candies.
- Grains:Pasta and bread.
- Dairy:Even if low fat.
- Trans fats:Found in margarine and various processed foods. Usually referred to as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
- Artificial sweeteners:Use natural ones instead.
Ingredients allowed in the Paleo Diet
- Meat:Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.
- Fish and seafood:They are all low in fat and carbs, just cook them in a healthy way.
- Eggs: free-range or pastured Eggs.
- Vegetables:Everything that is green and leafy.
- Fruits:Just avoid sugary fruits and the rest are fine.
- Nuts and seeds:Almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Healthy fats and oils:Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, peanut butter.
Adjusted Paleo Diets
There have been some modifications applied on the paleo community and diet as well, which made many versions of the paleo diet that we can see today. These modifications allowed the presence of more modernized foods that were scientifically proven to be very nutritious and healthy. Some of the foods include rice and grass-fed butter, which were never included before but incorporated in the modified version of paleo diet.
Paleo diet became a principle or a set of basics that people nowadays follow, not just something they follow strictly, but a bigger background to lead them. So it could be a great start to take the basics of paleo dieting and add a few more things like rice to kick in.
Although they were not considered in the original paleo diet, but actually the following munchies do not break the rules if consumed in small amounts.
- Red Wine:Rich with antioxidants and has other healthy nutrients.
- Dark chocolate:Make sure it is 70% or higher in Cacao. It has many prominent healthy nutrients like magnesium.
How to quench your thirst in the Paleo Diet
Water, water, and water! Sip in some water whenever you feel thirsty and forget about your usual soft drink.
Some people add tea and coffee to their modified paleo diet. It is okay to add some as green tea has many diuretic effects and coffee is very rich in antioxidants.