Struggling to find a hearty side dish? You have crossed the right link! This recipe does not only supplies you with half the calories present in most of the traditional cauliflower gratins, it also has a very delicious taste that will pull your legs to eat this healthy meal again and again.
Fit Cauliflower Gratin
Serves: 4, large, 1 cups servings Nutrition Facts: 162 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 420 mg sodium, 23 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 13 g protein
- 4 cups cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided (Hello vitamin D! Almost all milks are Vitamin D fortified, check to make sure yours is!)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (Italian breadcrumbs work well too!)
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided (look for a vitamin D fortified cheese)
- 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose whole wheat flour
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or 2 tsp of dried chives
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
Get the cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk, and salt then put them to boil in a preheated broiler in a large skillet in a range of medium to high heat. Then cover and simmer them until the cauliflower is tender for about 5 minutes.
While letting the ingredients boil, mix breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Blend the flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in an additional small bowl until they blend smoothly then slowly stir the blend in the flour mixture into the pan that contains the cauliflower mixture by continuously stirring them until they are thickened for approximately 1 minute.
Caramelize onions and garlic in a cooking spray inside a skillet with medium heat until. Upon caramelizaiton, set them aside from heat.
Blend the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper and onion and garlic with the breadcrumb mixture in the previous step.
Broil the mixture until the top is crispy and brownish, which takes around 1 to 2 minutes.
Eat and smile